Healthy and easy—a great salsa for snacking or adding to just about anything!
- Place nopales in a large pot with water and boil until tender, about 15 minutes. Rinse with cold water in a strainer and set aside.
- While nopales are cooking, in a medium bowl add the tomatoes, jalapeños, onion, cilantro and the juice of half a lemon. Mix lightly.
- Add the cooked nopales. Season with salt and pepper and serve with the other half of the lemon.
- Notes: Jarred nopales have too much sodium. Fresh is best! If you use the nopales that come in a jar, rinse and drain them before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- 2 c diced fresh nopales, rinsed, thorns removed
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 jalapeños, sliced
- c diced onion
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- c chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
Total fat: 0 g; Saturated fat: 0 g; Trans fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 10 mg; Carbohydrates: 5 g; Fiber: 2 g; Sugars: 2 g; Protein: 1 g; Vitamin D: 0 mg; Calcium: 48 mg; Iron: 0 mg; Potassium: 222 mg