This is excellent with romaine lettuce or as a side dish.
- Rinse and drain lentils; place in a large saucepan. Cover with water to 4 inches above lentils; add bay leaf and onion halves to pan.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20-30 minutes or until lentils are just tender. Drain lentils.
- Preheat grill to high heat or use your comal.
- Place bell pepper pieces, skin side down, on grill rack; grill 5-8 minutes or until skins are blackened.
- Place bell pepper pieces in a zippered plastic bag; seal and let stand 15 minutes. Peel and chop bell peppers. Discard skins.
- Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place bell peppers in a large bowl.
- Discard bay leaf and onion halves from the cooked lentils.
- Add lentils to bell peppers. Add remaining salt, black pepper, tomato, and remaining ingredients to lentil mixture; stir well.
- Note: If you wish to use canned roasted red peppers in place of fresh peppers, discard the liquid.
- c dried lentils (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion, peeled and halved
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered and seeded
- 1 green bell pepper, quartered and seeded
- t salt, divided
- t freshly ground black pepper, divided
- c chopped plum tomato
- c chopped green onions
- c cilantro leaves
- c fresh lime juice
Total fat: 2.5 g; Saturated fat: 0 g; Trans fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 380 mg; Carbohydrates: 27 g; Fiber: 10 g; Sugars: 4 g; Protein: 11 g; Vitamin D: 0 mcg; Calcium: 28 mg; Iron: 4 mg; Potassium: 511 mg