A rainbow of flavors and colors to liven any dinner!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Cut each breast lengthwise in half.
- In an oven-safe pan with a lid, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and cook the chicken pieces for 8 minutes on each side on medium-high heat. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat and sauté onions until translucent.
- Add garlic and stir for a minute; don’t let it burn.
- Add carrots, celery, tomatoes, water or chicken broth, bay leaf, jalapeños, oregano, capers and olives. Lower heat to simmer and cover for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add chicken to skillet and mix gently to coat chicken with the sauce. Cover with the lid.
- Bake at 375 for 1 hour or cook on the stove on low-medium heat for one hour.
- Note: Instead of oven safe pan, cook chicken and sauce in a skillet and transfer to a baking pan.
- 4 boneless, skinless whole chicken breasts (about 2 lbs. total)
- 2 T olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper, as desired
- 1 c white onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 28 oz. can stewed tomatoes
- 1 c water or chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and sliced
- 2 T dried oregano
- c drained and sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 3 t capers, drained
Total fat: 8 g; Saturated fat: 1.5 g; Trans fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 70 mg; Sodium: 500 mg; Carbohydrates: 13 g; Fiber: 3 g; Sugars: 7 g; Protein: 28 g; Vitamin D: 0 mcg; Calcium: 78 mg; Iron: 1.6 mg; Potassium: 578 mg