A vegetarian tostada with black beans and squash.
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 c fresh Mexican squash
- 2 tsp ancho chile powder, divided
- 2 green onions, chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 oz Rotel tomato and chile, drained
- 6 corn tortillas
- 2 c romaine lettuce, chopped
- c crumbled queso fresco
- cilantro leaves, for garnish
- 1 sliced lime, wedges
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil on medium / low heat.
- Add the squash and cook covered until the squash is soft but not mushy, about 8-10 minutes. Add the chile powder, chopped green onions, salt and pepper to taste, and cover to keep warm.
- Heat the black beans and canned tomatoes with chile in another saucepan; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spread equal amounts of the bean mixture on each tostada. Top with equal amounts of the squash mixture, lettuce and cheese. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.