Corn salsa with nectarines? Really? Yes, and it is delicious. I have made this salsa for pot lucks and also made it the night before of an overbooked day, because there is nothing like getting home hungry and tired and finding something healthy and delicious. At De Las Mías we are all about adopting new and healthy habits. One of the ways we can add healthy habits is to change our environment. When I came across an article on stacking up those healthy habits, I chose getting to those 3 veggies a day. As a result, I went on a mission to keep ready-to-eat veggies in the refri. If I come home tired after a busy afternoon, and I see deliciousness waiting for me, I feel like a Super Mujer. That is one less handful of fritos, doritos or chicharrones! Roasting the corn ahead of time gives it a nice charred flavor and I highly recommend that you do that, but if you want to opt for a short cut, just sauté some frozen corn and try it that way. Also, if you haven’t tried canned chipotle, go now and get yourself some. This smoky jalapeño knows how to kick it up a notch. Use sparingly until you can’t live without it. (Hint: I put it into the olive oil I drizzle on my popcorn!) This corn salsa is particularly tasty on a hot summer evening. I must admit that I triple or quadruple the recipe because it goes fast. I love it with a tall glass of my favorite jugo verde – La Diosa Verde – one of the green juices you can find at De Las Mías. It also goes super great with Tacos and it is just lovely as a topping for black bean tostadas. Try it on Meatless Monday!
- Heat grill to medium/high. (You can also boil the corn until soft).
- Season the ears of corn with oil and sprinkle salt on them. Wrap in tinfoil and grill for 10 minutes, turning to cook evenly. Set aside to cool.
- Remove the foil. Holding each ear of corn vertically, run a knife down each side to remove the kernels. Transfer to a large bowl and mix in the remaining ingredients.
- 4 large ears of corn, husks removed
- 1 t extra virgin olive oil
- t salt
- 3 green onions, chopped
- c chopped red bell pepper
- c chopped green bell pepper
- c chopped yellow bell pepper
- c chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 t lime juice
- 1 t red chili powder
Total fat: 2 g; Saturated fat: 0 g; Trans fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 105 mg; Carbohydrates: 19 g; Fiber: 3 g; Sugars: 5 g; Protein: 3 g; Vitamin D: 0 mg; Calcium: 7 mg; Iron: .8 mg; Potassium: 257 mg