Easy oatmeal to start the day with a serving of whole grain.
- 2 c water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- t salt
- 1 c old-fashioned oats or gluten free oats
- c low fat milk
- 1 t brown sugar
- 1 t Mexican vanilla extract
- t ground cinnamon
- In a saucepan, bring the water and cinnamon stick to a boil.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let steep for 20 minutes. Discard the cinnamon sticks.
- Add salt and oats to the water and let it come to a boil uncovered.
- Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
- Add milk and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, Mexican vanilla, and ground cinnamon.