Nopales will slow down the absorption of carbohydrate foods in a meal.
- Rinse nopales in water. Boil nopales in water for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse until clear.
- In a nonstick pan, heat the olive oil on medium-low.
- Add green onions, tomatoes and green chile and sauté for 8-10 minutes.
- Add nopales and mix thoroughly.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs and water.
- Add eggs to the pan and stir gently while cooking until set, about 4 minutes.
- Season with salt. Garnish with cilantro.
- Jarred nopales are high in sodium. We recommend draining and rinsing them. Or look for fresh nopales from the Mexican markets.
intermediate Level | 40 minutes Total time | 120 Calories
- 1 c fresh nopales, thorned, cut into strips
- 1 T olive oil
- c chopped green onions
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Anaheim chile, roasted, seeded, chopped
- 4 eggs
- t water
- t salt
- black pepper to taste
- c cilantro, chopped
Total fat: 8 g; Saturated fat: 2 g; Trans fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 165 mg; Sodium: 370 mg; Carbohydrates: 7 g; Fiber: 2 g; Sugars: 3 g; Protein: 7 g; Vitamin D: .8 mcg; Calcium: 104 mg; Iron: 1.5 mg; Potassium: 343 mg