Comfort food at its best—sopa de albóndigas!
- 1 lb lean ground turkey breast
- 1 T olive oil
- c finely chopped white onion, divided
- 1 c coarsely chopped tomatoes
- 2 c chopped fresh vegetables (carrots, celery and Mexican squash or zucchini)
- 4 c (32 ounces) chicken broth or water
- 2 c water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large whisked egg
- 1 t dried oregano
- 4 sprigs fresh mint, finely chopped
- t salt
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Sauté half the onion for 2 minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic and tomatoes and sauté for 2 minutes. Don’t let the garlic burn.
- Add chopped vegetables and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer.
- In a large bowl, mix ground meat, remainder of onion, egg, oregano, chopped mint and salt. Form into 10 large meatballs.
- Add meatballs gently to broth mixture and keep at a rolling simmer. Do not boil, or the meatballs will fall apart.
- Cook 30 minutes or until meatballs are cooked and vegetables are tender. Serve hot.