Delicious, fresh and satisfying!
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add ½ teaspoon salt and the quinoa; stir and let it cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low. Without stirring, cover and simmer 15 minutes, until quinoa is tender. Remove pan from heat.
- Place cooked quinoa in a large bowl and add cucumber, onion, tomatoes, jalapeños, carrots, cilantro, lime juice, vinegar and olive oil. Season with ½ teaspoon of salt. Serve garnished with avocado and cilantro sprigs.
- Notes: Use chicken broth instead of water when cooking quinoa to add more flavor.
- 1 c dry quinoa
- c water
- 1 t salt, divided
- 1 c peeled and diced cucumber
- c finely minced red onion
- 1 c diced Roma tomatoes
- jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 1 c diced fresh carrots (about 2 medium carrot sticks)
- c chopped cilantro, plus several sprigs for garnish
- 2 T fresh lime juice
- 1 t red wine vinegar
- 1 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 diced avocado, for garnish
Total fat: 9 g; Saturated fat: 1.5 g; Trans fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 490 mg; Carbohydrates: 31 g; Fiber: 6 g; Sugars: 4 g; Protein: 6 g; Vitamin D: 0 mcg; Calcium: 49 mg; Iron: 2 mg; Potassium: 585 mg