At De Las Mías we believe that moderation is key to better nutrition—that’s why we abide by the “Un poquito de todo” philosophy to enjoy a little of everything. Our resident nutritionist, Madrina Malena, created a healthy eating plan so you have the tools you need to make smarter choices.
1. Un poquito de todo. Eat a little of everything. Watch those portion sizes. Not sure what the right portion is? Check out our infographic, “En Tus Manos Portion Control.”
2. ¡Tantas frutas y verduras! Eat more fruits and vegetables. Make it your goal to eat up to five vegetables and fruits per day. Go ahead, start with three! Then, keep adding. Try Madrina Lori’s delicious Turkey Taco Salad. Eat this, and you’re halfway to your goal of five fruits and veggies a day.
3. Switch to integrales. Eat more whole-grain breads and pastas. Eat more corn tortillas than flour tortillas. Eat more whole-wheat tortillas than white flour tortillas. Try other whole grains like quinoa. Try Madrina Lori’s Quinoa Salad. ¡Qué rico!
4. Los chicharrones son muy traicioneros. Reduce your intake of trans and saturated fats. (¡No matter how charming, the chicharrón is not your friend!) Switch to olive and canola oils instead of lard. Eat more lean meats, like chicken and turkey. Trim fat off chicken and pork. Use ground turkey instead of ground beef for tacos. Try Madrina Lori’s delicious Turkey Chorizo!
5. ¡Queso control! We love cheese but take it easy. Switch from whole milk and high-fat cheeses to reduced-fat milk and lower-fat cheeses like mozzarella and queso fresco.
6. ¡Aguas con la sal! Watch the salt and sodium in your diet. Avoid adding more salt to your food on the table. Read the labels of packaged foods for sodium content.
7. ¡Gánale a la chatarra! Junk food is not healthy for our children or us. Avoid it.
8. Watch the dulces. Lower your intake of candy and sugar and reduce the amount of food with added sugars.
9. ¡Agua! Drink water instead of soda and other sugary drinks. Make your own delicious aguas with fruits and vegetables.
Now it’s your turn, comadres! Discover better daily nutrition by making smarter choices. Use this healthy eating plan to become your healthiest self.